- You cringe at the sound of being called a “nutritionist” instead of “dietitian”
You worked hard to earn your degree, complete your internship and pass the RD exam! It can be super frustrating when you are referred to as the nutritionist because we all know that anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, but not everyone can call themselves a Registered Dietitian.
- People think you are constantly judging their food choices.
Unless you are my patient, I really do not care what you choose to eat!
- People judge you if you decide to have a cookie, or piece of cake, or basically anything they consider to be “unhealthy”.
As a dietitian, you know that you can enjoy any food as part of a balanced diet.
- You can accurately guess portion sizes just by glancing at the amount of liquid or food in its container and not actually measuring it.
This is a skill that comes in handy!
- You enjoy reading academic research articles and sometimes do this for fun.
And this is why I am so excited to receive my journal each month from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Can we say FREE continuing education credits!?
- You feel exhausted trying to keep up with all the fad diets.
There are so many! It seems like every day a patient tells me about a patch, pill, or drink that I have not heard of yet.
- Your whole life basically revolves around food…. and you are ok with that.
Because you love food! You would not have become a dietitian if you didn’t! Talking about food all day long is actually really enjoyable!
- You love going to your job every day and helping people to make healthy food choices!
At the end of the day, you realize how much you love educating people about the science behind nutrition and food choices.
Happy Registered Dietitian Day!